- Turkeys were noted by Benjamin Franklin as being “a more respectable bird” to represent the United States of America’s national bird than the Bald Eagle. We all know how that ended.
- Turkeys are one of the only birds from North America to be significantly domesticated world-wide besides the Muscovy duck.
- The domesticated Turkey was originally from Mexico and brought to Europe. There are some that believe the domesticated form of the Turkey was brought back to North America on the Pilgrim’s boats.
- More than 200 million domesticated turkeys are consumed a year in the United States
- Wild Turkey’s fly very well and can reach up to 55 mph